 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 335
Re: Help set a LEGO world record this weekend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:21:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   That’s really cool. I was sort of surprised to see the stars attached rather than embedded in the layers but I guess a lot of early flags (sewn) have stars sewn on...

How is the flag going to be supported, it seems like it would put a lot of bending moment on the flag pole...

Larry-

We initially planned to embed the stars, but a number of reasons converged to make overlaying them the best choice:
  • Since we put a wave in the surface, the union is not flat and embedded stars would have been more complex.
  • We wanted to make all the stars the same, so we could easily make instructions that the public could follow to build them. David designed a single 8.5 x 11 instruction sheet that contained both an exploded view and and actual size finished outline of all bricks that almost no visitor had troube with, despite a lot of SNOT.
  • We wanted to keep the stripe construction uniform so the public could build without continuous instruction (just occasional quality control). In our chosen format, we only needed to substitue a hanger joint at one brick spot per star.
  • did some samples, and the overlaid stars looked much more interesting (3D relief and shadow lines). A flat flag with embedded stars would have been a lot more work for a lot less payoff.
Regarding the flag pole, it’s reinforced with 3/4 inch steel pipe. We secured the flag to the pole with 1/4 inch high tensile strength transparent aluminum cord.

-Ted