 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 140
Re: Images from SCLTC's Latest Shows!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:01:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Tim Strutt writes:
Congratulations again on what looks like another great show.
I am really impressed with your layout. It looks tremendous. I just love
the mountain with multiple tunnels and bridges. I just wish I could see
it in person. Looks great.
Play well.

Tim Strutt

Thanks for the kind comments, Tim.

We have been told that this is the first LTC layout ever with 4 separate
train levels. Planning was extra important for this one. We actually made a
3D LEGO model of the layout, using 12 x 24 green bricks to represent actual
96 x 192 tables (1/8 scale), to explain it to ourselves before the club
voted to do it. We also had 4 separate overlapping Track Designer plans to
work with. The mountains and tunnels were achieved by stacking our modular
tables just like super sized LEGO bricks (96 x 192 x 6). We put knobs on the
tables tops at the corners and simply stacked the tables up (the legs are
made of ABS pipe). We cut custom legs for the stacked tables. It's a rather
elegant and simple solution.

We had 4 levels of tables in a circle around the 30 x 60 open space behind
the dam. All the trains went by that same spot and it was a great place to
sit in a comfortable chair, out of sight of visitors, and listen to the
trains lull you to sleep <g>.

We initially expected that members would gradually slope their terrain
across their individually assigned tables, but everyone gravitated to
terracing to maximize the flat space for building ordinary structures. We
really didn't take advantage of the verticals and height changes except for
the Paul's dam and Robert's mining area (and of course the tunnels and bridges).

Knott's was the 4th and last time out for this layout. We're taking almost
everything apart to start a new season. Multiple levels are likely to be
permanent fixture in the future, but it will be awhile before we build 4 or
more!

-Ted