 Trains / Train Organizations / 1709
Re: Gutter Talk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:36:27 GMT

Thanks Mike!!

In lugnet.trains.org, Mike Walsh writes:

Here is a picture of our (NCLTC) gutters:

Great fun pic for your web page or for LEGO/GATS to use to promote the kids
play area but not exactly the kind of detail on mounting we need.

They are mounted with bolts that go through the gutter and then through the
table and then through a block of wood that fits into the table structure.
We use the PNLTC style tables so if you are familiar with how the legs
mount, the block of wood mounts essentially the same way.

Do you have a pic handy that shows underside or some mounting detail?

Chris Suich in
our group worked this out and it has worked out really well.  We have found
that having gutters only on two sides has been sufficient and don't have any
plans to add more.  In fact, to date, the kids layout (as shown in the
picture) has worked out well.  We actually tack the track down to prevent it
from moving around as well.

A wrinkle for us is that we are attaching to banquet tables supplied by
GATS... so just like with our drool/reach shields on the main layout, the
solution needs to work for somewhat varying table types and needs to not
permanently mar the tables. Something that clips or clamps on is needed.

Unless we start building our own tables, that is... need to win a few more
shows before we have the scratch handy to do that for our entire layout. (we
keep spending our winnings on bricks and track and stuff) But just building
3-4 tables for a kids play area may be a way to get feet wet in the table
building process (he says, cheerfully volunteering *other* club members for
the task since his own woodworking skills are nil)...