 Trains / Train Organizations / 1648
Re: New Building (light gray)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:54:02 GMT

In lugnet.build.arch, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.build.arch, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.build, Jason Spears writes:
Neat.  All those thinwalls are pretty impressive.  How sturdy is this?  It
looks extremely fragile.

My question as well. I have built a number of large buildings for train
shows that have traveled with varying success. How do you plan to transport
it -- or is it stronger than it looks?

I'm assuming floors would add a lot of strength... as well as adding to the
realism (even if undetailed... a big hollow shell doesn't look right unless
it's supposed to be a big hollow atrium)

So far I've tried wrapping with bubble wrap, and constructing thin-sheet
styofoam shells. Both work. For buildings without a lot of protrusions, the
strofoam shells are much easier to get off and on the building once they're
made. I also put foam inside buildings to keep them from collapsing during
transport. Most buildings have to be transported upright; even with the
packing and wrapping, they split apart if they're on their side.

So do you have a custom carved shell you use for each different building
type, then? And the foam inside, is that just random pieces or again,
something custom?

I could see where making your buildings hinge open might allow you to make
very closely conforming interior foam pieces. Even if you had interiors, though?

Given the manic activity at show setup, anything that means less time spent
on setup has got to be a good thing. I can't believe Chris rebuilds stuff at
the show! :-) (I'm in awe but I can't believe it.)
Larry are you refering to me or is there another Chris who rebuilds alot of
his stuff at the shows?

You can unquestionably follow up to trains.org for this reply :)

Should have set FUT then! :-) Your post is on topic for .org... John's
wasn't. IMHO.