 Trains / Train Organizations / 158
Re: 1st Annual International LEGO Train Conference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 02:32:47 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.trains.org, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
I was hoping to get a ruff idea of how many would attend, so please e-mail me
or RE: if you are more then vaguely interested. I thought I'd start this off
by picking a place, date, events, speakers. I would love to hear any ideas...

I'd attend.  Likely drag my wife with me, but might not due to costs. (this
dammed island is so expensive to get off of!)

(BTW Lets try to keep this discussion on lugnet.trains.org@lugnet.com)

Possible Location
1) San Diego (Carlsbad), California (obvious) • Advantage...LLC
2) Denver, Colorado (centrally located)

Not so likely.  No 'home' group to organize

James makes a good point.  It would be nice to have a "host" group in situ.  Here
is my concern doing it in LL San Diego: we all would want to go there instead of
our own thing!

BTW, how long of an event are we talking here?  A long weekend?  A week?  If we
were to do the NMRA convention, we should join the organization, shouldn't we?  Or
should we?  What if we ran our own show, opened it to the public for 1 day, and
charged a couple of bucks to defray travel costs?  I think I like the idea of
having our *own* gig.

My 8 [wide] cents;-)
-John

I'd think either twin cities or LLC or NMRA conference.  One of the 3.
Problems with NMRA conference is that -we- would be at the mercy of the rest of
the train hobby (as regards getting exibit space...)  If it was before/after,
then we would be forcing people to stay for a lenght of time.  I don't know if
I would agree with it as much.

Possible Date
1) August 24-27, 2000
2) August 10-13, 2000

Either or

Possible Events
1) All night Building Party

Whoo!

2) Set Guinness record of longest continuos LEGO train track

You know I've offered my track...

3) Show and Tell

Yep.  I'd bring some stuff.

4) Set Auctions (real auction)

good idea if you can get some people to bring stuff (Matt C, Larry P, anyone
else)

5) Parts Swap Meet

Possible Guest Speakers
1) A master builder from LEGO
2) NMRA rep on the topic of toy trains and revitalizing the young model rail
roaders

Both.  I can do a bit on youth and MR's.  I have the experence from the other
side of the fence.  Exibited since I was 14 on my own.

SteveB
PNLTC