 Trains / Train Organizations / 125
Re: Transitional piece construction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:21:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Martin Legault writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Carbon 60 wrote:
How  would a purist make the section self-isolating,
sliding track, RCX?

I'm not 100% pure. So I would use sticker edges between rail joints to
insulate. Or just mount the track one stud apart, that makes a fine gap.

Hi again,

had a better idea

you still need to make to insulated joint but at each joint you only need to
put scoth tape on one side of the track: see the other ascii art trial

|  |  A
|  |
|  = -> insulation
|  |
|  |
|  | middle section
|  |
=  |-> Insulation on the other rail
|  |  B
|  |

when a train from side A goes in direction of B side, after the train motor
cross the insulation part, the motor is no longer feeded so it's slow down but
if it have enough speed it will continu and cross the other insulation and thus
being feed by B side.

A trick like that require no switch or sensor or mindstrom brick but means that
you *need* to have your train going at full speed over the cross over section,
if not your train risk to stop and require a *manual push*

Martin

that will works but you will need 2 joint like that because when to train • motor
will cross over the joints both front and rear wheels are connected and will
short-ciruit the 2 modules

(also bad ascii art)

A          B
====~====~====
   ^    ^
   |    |
   |    |
joint with sticker (scoth tape)

use 2 lego switch like part 6551 to feed the insulated track section between
the 2 modules (one feed by side A the other by side B), turn them off at all
time except when you what to cross a train over then turn them on • alternatively
one at a time to make the train cross the insulated section. But make sure not
to turn them on both at the same time. Also make sure when one switch is one
that the train will not go ever the other section. You can also go check
Matthew Bate Train Depot site for more info.
(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/train_depot/)

Martin

Another way would be to use points/switches either end but that would
restrict the placement of the module -  it would have to be on a corner
on each groups layouts.

Why? You just need two switches back to back, like so (bad ascii art)

    A2---\

When you align both switches to A2 and B2 respectively, A-B are no
longer electrically connected at all.
lugnet.