 Trains / Train Organizations / 1222
Re: The formation of an ILTCO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:08:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:

Even though our "focus" isn't necessarily trains, we do train shows, and
IMHO, that's enough.

Well, let's talk about this, because there are some gray areas here.  If a
club/group are committed to showing at train shows, then why the reticence
using the LTC name form?  I don't think it's silly to use both, because
perhaps there are or will be folk in the future who will join the LUG, but not
be interested in participating in the LTC activities.  Even if, at this point,
the members are all the same, perhaps it won't be so in the future.

Well I can talk from a NELUG perspective.  Personally I see no need for both an
LTC and LUG in the area.  We get along great just as we are, heck I don't think
we have a single "Hard Core" Train head in the group.  Actually I see the
train shows as a convenient place to display our Town stuff, we just run a
train around it to fit in with the theme of the show :).

OK thats a bit of an exaggeration but not totally so.  I do like building
trains but I wouldn't say I am focused on them.  We, like everyone else, like
to display our work and the train shows are one way to do that.

We are a LUG in the truest sense of the word (or acronym).  Our members run the
gamit and we feel no need to split off into separate sub groups.  We enjoy our
diversity.

I really think that this should be a purely train club related org, so I don't
think that any ol' LUG should qualify.

Well probably not "any ol' LUG" but I think any LUG that does public Train
shows should be included.

If we are talking semantics here, then
why don't the LUGs call themselves LTCs?  What is the difference between a LUG
and an LTC?

OK now this is easy... A LUG doesn't call itself an LTC because thats not what
it is.  A LUG is just anyone interested in LEGO period.  It doesn't matter what
theme, sub-brand, or product, if you are into LEGO then you belong.  An LTC is
much more focused on what they are doing.  Put it this way:  I think you could
easily find a LUG with a sub group that is an LTC but you will never find an
LTC with a sub group that is a LUG.

Now all that being said try this link:

http://www.neltc.org/

Hmmmm.... I wonder why they did that?

It is not because we plan on forming an "LTC" actually just the opposite.  We
actually have no plans on forming a sister LTC, the only reason why we (I) have
registered www.neltc.org is to protect our identity as a group.  If someone
wants to form an LTC in New England then I am all for it but I don't want them
just signing up for NELTC without our knowledge.  There would be an automatic
connection made between NELUG and NELTC which would not be correct.  I didn't
want to risk diluting the NELUG name so I registered NELTC to protect our
identity.  Besides NE could stand for lots of things like North East, Nebraska,
New England, North Europe, etc. and I wanted to make sure we reserved the right
to the URL while it was available.

Now if someone wants to make a NELTC they will have to have the full support
and approval of NELUG (at least if they want the Domain Name).  That being
said, we have absolutely no plans on forming NELTC from our current membership.
We are happy calling ourselves a NELUG and doing train shows as such.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/