 Trains / 8928
Re: Help with a classic train for Christmas tree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 04:00:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Comeaux writes:
Thanks for the input Mike, but 4561 looks too modern and space-age.  I want
to find the classic look.  I want a choo-choo, not an electro-magnetic jet.

See it as a source of parts... then design your own. Any christmas train
worth its salt has to have Santa on a sleigh and some reindeer anyway.

Hey, Chris, I'm a non-train person, but I have to agree with Mike and Larry.
If you look around for the next few weeks (especially at places like Target or
maybe online toy stores) you should be able to find a cheap 4561 for the track,
regulator, train motor, etc.  I couldn't design my own train to save my life,
so what I would do is get a 4561 for the parts and then get a 4565 (which lacks
track and regulator) and build the alternate model engine.  Matthew Bates has
instructions (and you can see his rendition of the alternate model pictured--
it's very nice!) at Matt's LEGO Train Depot:

http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/4565sl.htm

4565 is still readily available at S@H or Brickbay (where you could pick up
the regulator and maybe track too).  Plus it has some other interesting parts
and is cheaper than getting a 4563.

Maggie C.