 Trains / 8866
Re: LEGO Desert Express
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

James, if you're going to go into "rivet counting mode" (1),

Note that rivet counting mode is a useful function...

make sure you
spell everything right in your nitpicks! :-) Schenectady is closer to
correct but may or may not be 100% there either.

Hey, I am just quoting one of my books...not _my_ fault if the book cannot
spell eh?

Who said that they can't spell 'eh'?? I am claiming that they can't spell
the names of towns in upstate NY. Consider getting better books. LOL.

their subsidiary Montreal Locomotive Works-

no, seperate company, not subsidiary.

While we're picking... sepArate company. :-)

I believe MLW was a subsidiary at some point or another, but they went
independent somewhere. Who owns them now is not as interesting to me.
Especially since Bombardier is French Canadian, and the Quebecois combine
the worst characteristics of the French AND the Canadians. LOL.

I know that like GMDD, they were "separate" companies, at least for a decent
period of time.  Also, why would they continue on building only in Canada if
they were one company?  I think the divestment happened well before the end of
ALCO as a diesel engine maker.

No argument. But I think they somehow did get a lot of tooling, jigs, stocks
of spares, etc. when ALCO ceased. Probably because they were still making
stuff under license. Over time much of their line diverged substantially
from Alco designs (some designed completely from scratch except for the 251
itself, like the LRC you cited) but they were still a source of parts for
people running Alcos.

For example, the PA rescue being carried out will be using a wrecked
MLW-<mumble> for a donor, I think...

++Lar