 Trains / 8432
  9v motor dying

I have a 9v motor that works for about 5 minutes, then slows down, and eventually stops. Wait 5 minutes, and it can go a little bit, then slows down, and stops. It's like the motor's juice needs to be re-charged. Is this motor dead? or is there (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v motor dying

(...) No help from me, sorry. I have a 9volt train motor that does exactly the same thing! I have the same questions as do you. Hmm.....Anyone else with the same problem? later, James Mathis (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v motor dying

(...) First, if the motor is relatively new, you probably can get CA to replace it. But it may be more fun to try to fix! I'm guessing here. Some people seem to have a problem with people guessing, so take it for what it's worth. Don't try any of (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v motor dying

(...) My guess is that the grease has dried up and the things slowly seizing up. As it heats up it causes my friction etc... As for a train motor, same thing I'd wager. The Train motors have a little metal heat switch that breaks the current when it (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v motor dying

In playing... I accidentaly discovered a way to break in and loosen up neew engines. Using a battery box from my 8480 shuttle... The torqe is incredible. But do be careful, short runs only. That much amperage is a bit warm. Fred (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re-reply: 9v motor dying

Thanks everyone for the info. I ran it again today. Slowed down and stopped. I smelled it and there was an odor of over-heating (burning sounds too dramatic), that my other motors do not have. I waited 5 minutes, tried it again. This time, it ran (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.trains)