 Trains / 8246
Re: Why did Lego stop the electrically controlled trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:43:52 GMT

I don't remember a de-coupler, but I have [1] the set with the signals and
cut-out switch. There was a black 4x2 brick which went into the bottom of
the motor, and had a little push-to-break switch on the bottom. The signals
had a plate that raised and lowered as you changed the position of the
signal (manually), and thus stopped the train as it went past. Qutite neat
for the time (late '60s / early '70s).

[1] Not in very good condition - both signals are broken, though 1 may be
fixable. And the blue motor (which is required, as the brick wont fit on the
black one) was "modified" many years ago, when I didn't cherish my Lego as
much....

Regards,

ROSCO

Holger Matthes <matthes@fh-aachen.de> wrote in message
Hi Michael,

LEGO® stopped producing electric switches etc. in 1990 while changing the
system from 12 Volts to 9 Volts! There were a first change in 1980 when • the
grey tracks werre introduced and the blue ones ran out of production.

Check Ben's Train Site at BEN'S WORLD OF ABS for the whole history of • LEGO®
trains: http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/trains/trains.html

Rumors... There are many I suppose. I could be the right time to change • the
system again. We AFOL's wish more electrical functions for 9 V, but LEGO® • seems
to go the "juniorized" way ;-))

Did I get it right? Are you from Austria? Do you know • http://www.1000steine.de
??

Kind regards,

Holger ...from Germany

In lugnet.trains, Michael Lachmann writes:
I remember some years ago Lego produced another train set (at the time • when
they had the blue manual rails) where it was able to electrically control
the switches and there was a decoupling unit as well.

Does somebody know wy they stopped the production of that system?
And are there any rumors that Lego will provide electronic switches • again?

Michael