 Trains / 7795
Re: a couple of 8-wide train pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:37:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
I just posted the first couple of pictures of my Union Pacific SD-50 model.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

I'd rework the pilot, those slopes don't look quite right. Nice, otherwise.

John Gerlach, GMLTC
Larry Pieniazek, MTW, GMLTC, and general PITA
To show my ignorance, I have to ask a question:  What is a 'pilot'?  (You mean
Han Solo sitting in the engineer's seat?  <grin>)

A pilot is the part of the engine frame assembly that is forward of the truck
(or behind it, at the rear) and forward of the pilot steps. In the olden days
of steam, a locomotive might have a cowcatcher pilot, which was pointed and
had bars so as to sweep wildlife aside without damaging the rest of the engine.

Most freight locomotives nowadays have so called "switcher pilots" where the
pilot is just a flat vertical plate with openings for the coupler and MU hoses
(to either side), and what appear to be small steps or platforms just in front
of the flat plate. It is very unsafe to actually ride on these, and I am
unsure as to what purpose they serve. They are not big enough to sweep much
aside.

I'm guessing you mean the
snowplow on the front??

Oh, it's supposed to be a snowplow pilot, not a regular one? Well, that
explains the slopes, I guess. A snowplow pilot is what it suggests, a pilot
that instead of being flat with small platforms in front, is a (not terribly
effective, but better than nothing) snowplow. The MU hoses and coupler are
still present, and no provision is made for flanging, but it often can keep
small drifts from growing into large ones.

What makes a snowplow pilot hard to model in LEGO is the compound curve nature
of its shape. It is pointed with the middle protruding farther, and it also
slopes upward, with the lower edge protruding farther. Some units also have a
recurve at the top (like a snow shovel does).

So if that was to be a snowplow pilot, it was rather wide of the mark because
I didn't recognise it as such.

To the rest of the world:  The GMLTC considers Larry to be a 'train geek that
likes LEGO', they consider me to be a 'LEGO geek that likes trains'...

Amen to that, brother.

I know you prefer to build till it feels good, not till it's "right", so build
on. :-) There's no "one right way" to do the brick thing. Still, I enjoy
trying to get close, given the limitations (shut up, John N, about 8 wide
:-) ) we work in.

++Lar