 Trains / 7768
Re: a couple of 8-wide train pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:12:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
I just posted the first couple of pictures of my Union Pacific SD-50 model.

Note to the 'purists':  I used a small amount of red striping tape to make the
horizontal line around the cab.  I'm still debating using some decals to add
some detail to the model, but I think it looks pretty good the way it is now.

Go for it - if it's in the interest of increasing the recognition factor, go
right ahead. Lego uses stickers, why can't you?

There's a yellow 9volt battery box in the back end, it will be used to power
the headlight.  And yes, it's Han Solo and Chewbacca driving it!  :-)

I'm looking for suggestions on how to do the handrails, all the things I try
look to 'heavy' - I want to find something that looks more to scale.  Any
ideas?  (I'm tempted to leave them off completely...)

Check out my 8-wide GP-38-2, at
The picture in question includes some rough digital enhancements for the
lettering and so on, (I hadn't gotten around to hand cutting the white vinyl
stickers yet) but the handrails are genuine. They're a series of black 1x4
antennas attached via 1x1 clip plates, with the black tube that's used in pod
race sets as coupling lines stuck to the top of said antennae with just a tiny
daub of glue. I use ShooGoo (the same company makes several variants, try the
auto department of your local WalMart) because it sticks quite well and yet
comes off without a trace. Be sparing with its use though as if left wet on ABS
long enough it will craze.
Then again I don't know where you'd get grey piping long enough.. UP handrails
_are_ grey aren't they? Hmm..
I'd put forth a DAT, but it's not yet complete.
If you want better photos or a particular angle, LMK and I'll try to oblige.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

A very fine piece of work. It has that right 'feel' that 8-wide is so conducive
toward. Although, as an SD, it should really have 6 axles.. nah it still looks
pretty good. "If it looks 'right', it's probably wrong, but who cares?"
The permanent power for the headlight is a great idea, I wish I'd thought of
it. Then again I can only imagine one source for a red battery box and that
sends my wallet diving for cover ;)
The end rails/lights/stairs are quite well done, but I can't make out how
you've dealt with curve-overhang?

KevinM, Nalug.