 Trains / 7765
Re: 12V Train System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:25:59 GMT

Yes, it can be made to work; my 12V system works just fine here in the US.  I
just got another 7863 to up my number of remote controlled points to a whopping
4--I need to set my system up sometime soon again :-)  Since the 7864 was never
sold in an American 110V version, you need a 110V-to-220V stepup transformer.
I have seen such a thing at a Radio Shack before, I think, but not that often.
You can also check out an electronics store such as http://
www.allelectronics.com.  Most of the stepups seem to come equipped to handle a
standard continental European 2-prong plug, but not the weird British version
(I know because I had to buy an extra adaptor when I got my first 7864, which
was British...).  I don't have experience with the blue-era tranformer, but I
would guess the advice would be the same.  One other thing--my stepup is rated
at I think 100W, and I think I recall people saying 50W is fine.  In other
words, the train system does not count as a heavy-duty application.

Alan

In lugnet.trains, Lars Brandt writes:
I have a 12v lego train system: train, track, switches, and controller.  I got
them as a kid in Germany.  Is there any way to make this system work in the
American electronic system?  I'm not an electronic guru, but Radio Shack
doesn't seem to have a converter for something like this.

Any help would be appreciated,
Lars