 Trains / 7449
Re: New Idea for Rail Ties
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 02:37:42 GMT

I would be happy either way. Or both. The problem that I think we have with
flex (as I was telling Tony Priestman when we were at Huw's house) is what to
do about the ends. TLC track has a split end, in which the cross section
changes as you get close to the end, rather than the more common rail joiner
that slips under a rail of fixed cross section. Thus you can't just trim one
end to the right length unless you have a way to remake the split end. That
makes flex track hard unless you have two joining systems available, also kind
of a kludge.

Good topic, though

How to do this:(my thoughts)

Have .5 M or 20 inch lengths (enough to cover 2 32x plates).  Use a 1" or 2"
fixed end at both ends, with a sliding fit into or over the flexable pieces.
This would let you have (if you used 2" lenghts, 3" travel in and out on both
rails...)  I think enough to make a more sweeping curve.  Of course, one is
still stuck with the 2" connecting straights (4" straight every 40"
travel...1/10th of the travel)  You'd also need something like the LGB
expandable track segment too...to fill in when you had odd lengths matching,
that or 1/8, 1/4/,1/2 straights too.

I'd love to see a track geometry based on the LGB system, or Peco
Settrack...although, I think for complexity purposes, I'd rather see a much
wider fixed radius curve than flex track at present.

My list would go:
1. Larger radius curve, about 2x current.
2. Different style of point geometry
3. 1/8-1/2 straight box with 8 pieces (makes 2 full straights)
4. Y points
5. Electrical control track (Signal, like the 12V one)

James