 Trains / 7337
Re: Another German MOC: BR 361 of DB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:57:06 GMT

James Powell wrote:

Oh, I'll give you that.  But remember, even if prototypes *could* negotiate • tight
curves like that, they would look as ungainly doing it.

Strangely enough, I have seen photos of boxcabs and 40 ft boxcars going around
60' radius curves.  They _do_ look funny doing it though.

And I wasn't even referring to something as short as a scale 40 footer (32 studs
for me);  what I had in mind were my 60 stud long passenger cars...

-John

(The pic's are of
NYC harbor railways)...I'm aware that some of the logging railways claimed that
they "didn't need lights in the cab, the headlamp lit it up just fine!".  The
issue of curves came up in regards to 1.5" scale trains, with the P&Q railway
in Victoria having had 15' radius curves.  One of the locos that used to run on
it could only run one way around, because the other way around (it is a shay),
the drive couplings dropped off...on a 3% downgrade, leading to a 7' high
trestle...

James P