 Trains / 7331
Re: Another German MOC: BR 361 of DB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:38:15 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Wie schön!  Ben-

Which makes me think:  Have I ever seen a *bad* looking 8 wide?  No, I
haven't, and I think part of the reason why is that the proportions work
*for* an 8 wide builder, and conversely, I think 6 wides work against a
builder.

Right, since every train is wider than the track....
But I think with the small radius of track 8-wides in curves (especially when
they are a little longer) look not too good.

Oh, I'll give you that.  But remember, even if prototypes *could* negotiate tight
curves like that, they would look as ungainly doing it.

But I don't want to restart the 8-wide discussion. I have decides to build on
in 6-wide, because Lego did so,

Yikes.  Need a better reason than that! :-)

all my stuff has ever ben 6-wide and most
important argument:
The train-wheels of Lego (especially 12V) are to small for 8-wides.

Actually, the wheels are a bit large (if we are talking about standard rolling
stock).  I try to compare 8 wides to "O" scale (1:48), so you get:

Width: Same

Wheel size: LEGO rolling stock slightly larger.  All other wheels such as drivers
which are larger are obviously inadequate in LEGO because all the wheels in LEGO
are basically the same size.

Figures:  Basically the same height, but minifigs are about twice as wide:-)

What I mean is that building 8 wide liberates me to more
possibilities for detailing and such.  When (however rare) I build 6
wide, I feel constrained and restricted.  I know that some relish this
challenge to build within such restrictions, but for me it just seems
silly that, for example, my passenger train walls together are half as
thick as my seating area....:-/

I never "play" with my trains: so it is unimportant how many minifigs can take
seat inside my trains.

????  You are really missing out, Ben.  (Dreamily) Ah yes, I'll never forget the
feeling I got after having built my first restroom in a passenger car....<sigh>

That is not to say that I feel *completely* liberated by 8 wide-- we as
train builders could use about a dozen or so specialty elements of train
items not easily constructed from bricks.  For me, there is definitely a
tension between utilizing available bricks in creative fashions, and
wanting specialty bricks which render all of that creative effort moot.
Sounds like I'm advocating Town Jr, so I'll don my asbestos suit now:-)

-John

Just grinning about this point of view.... ;-)

Glad I could make you smile:-)

-John

Regards,

Ben