 Trains / 698
Re: My new diesel electric
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:49:26 GMT

The nose is a cop out, and it is something that will have to be revisited.
I couldn't think of a good way to put a railing accross the front; so, I
gave up.

I guess I really should go get

The Great Book of Trains
Brian Hollingsworth & Arthur Cook
Featuring 310 locomotives shown in over 160 full-colour illustrations
and more than 500 photographs.
414 pages.
ISBN 1-85501-852-7

because I really cannot look at the Union Pacific (among others) diesels
that go back and forth along the Huey P. Long bridge (accross the
Mississippi near New Orleans); I might drive of the highway  if I try to
look.

The other thing is that 8 wide is a bit wide; I think that I may try to
rework the design to bring it back to 6 wide. The train is 8 wide simply
because I needed a place to attach the technic/expert "elbow" joint. I may
be able to attach the rail to the engine itself. The other problem with
the rail is that having the railing eliminates the possibility of putting
a ladder on the rear of the engine. I think I need to rethink the rail
attachment.  I need to go for a middle of the rail method so I can put
ladders on the ends...or maybe attach the rail to the cab...OH NOOOOOO I
feel the Collective calling me..."resistance is futile...you will build
all night long."

The radiator bubble is stolen blatantly (I looked up this word to see if I
spelled it right...I did not, but the dictionary said "2. Usage Problem.
Totally or offensively conspicuous or obtrusive. —bla' tan•cy  n. —bla'
tant•ly  adv." I guess that means I should not be using this word in this
maner..but I digress) from Will Chapman's design. That is the first place
I saw the radiator buble. I am glad I now know what it is.

I put the stipes in to help tie the windows and the rest of the engine
together.  The stripes step up in the back to make it over the 3 high
doors.

Once again, thanks for the comments.
Chris

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Nice work, Chris. I like the staggered grey stripes and the radiator
bubble in back.
When I heard this was 8 wide, I was concerned that it wouldn't look "to
scale" with other stuff but it looks good.

I'm gonna have to start doing some of these half stud offset side
windows...

What look were you going for with the nose? It's not exactly a safety
cab, and not exactly a normal width nose either. Also, it needs a front
railing.

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.