 Trains / 5792
5791  |  5793
Subject:
Isolating rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 23:47:39 GMT

Has anyone tried making isolating rails? By this I mean a purposely modified
section of track with a cut in one or both rails (can be done with a modelling
grinder etc.).

All the postings I have read refer to using 1 stud gaps between the rail ends
or sticky tape. Whilst this provides a convenient and quick method for
temporary layouts I am looking into more permanent solutions, maybe with
soldered wires and proprietary toggles in preference to Lego feeder wires with
DPDT technic switches (shock horror).

Only reason to use non-Lego components was one of cost, but if the Mindstorms
system is developed enough it may make remote electronic power selection/point
switching a reality. This is of course wishful thinking as the RCX only has
two motor/voltage outputs - does anyoner have any ideas beyond the 'red
herring' Lego DCC?

Jon