 Trains / 5797
Re: Isolating rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 07:58:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Reynolds writes:
Has anyone tried making isolating rails? By this I mean a purposely modified
section of track with a cut in one or both rails (can be done with a modelling
grinder etc.).

Yup, I used this method for the 12 to 9V signal conversion. You can read more
about it on my webpage:
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/signal.html

I have also been thinking about isolating two stretches to use different
powersupplies in one layout. I'm a little puzzled how to do it, the problem is
that at one point there is a situation that the front wheels are on one side
of the gap and the rear wheels on the other side - probably shorting the motor
or -even worse I think- connecting both power supplies to one another via the
motor. Leaving a stretch as wide as the motor isolated may work but I'm afraid
that my slower engines (12V motor powered by the 9V track) will stall :-(
Anyone had succeeded in getting this to work?

--
Frank Buiting

Visit the LEGO Lexicon: http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/