 Trains / 5839
Re: Isolating rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 21:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Reynolds writes:
Has anyone tried making isolating rails? By this I mean a purposely modified
section of track with a cut in one or both rails (can be done with a modelling
grinder etc.).

Yes, It is possible to cut trough the metal strip only (well, almost only), on
de spots where there are gaps in the plastic supporting these strips. I've
done this using a mini tool with a thin cutting disk. It makes a very smooth
cut, thin enought to leave the separated metal strips still firmly attached to
the plastic base. Note that these strips are folded around the base at the
position of the gaps.
I've used a piece of plywood with two small wooden blocks glued on, and those
fit exactly in the spaces between the sleepers. This keeps the track part
firmly in place while I'm operating on it. The best way is to make the cut
with a small angle (i.m. holding the axis of the tool not completely parallel
to the track), because it alows you to hold the tool horizontal and make the
cutting disk sink in straight (seen in a vertical direction). Be aware that
isolating both rails may result in un-powered sections near switches if they
are set in another direction. This is because the switches themselves isolate
the innermost rail of the direction the're not set in.

I would not reccomend to use a hacksaw to make the cuts, since this will
partialy loosen the metal stips from the base.

I've used isolation to build a working reversing loop, (the kind of thing that
TLC warns you about it will not work) I also had a signal next to the isolated
section. The loop was controlled with two Technic Reversing Switches, one of
them was mechanicaly connected to a semaphore armsignal made from technic
parts. I've had a lot of fun and succes when I had the loop on displayed.

There is a desription of the reversing loop (without the signal) on M. Bates
Train Depot http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/train_depot/reverse2.htm

Check out the other excelent train stuff on his site, suth as his stunning
Track Desiner. See http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/train_depot/

If you have more questions on this, please mail me.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen