 Trains / 5791
Re: How high are train cars.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 21:40:27 GMT

Derek wrote:

I'm building a train station with passenger platforms and I'm wondering how
high to make the platforms.  Currently I only have two axle train cars, but I'm
plaining to get some of the dual boggy cars in the future.  I'd like the
platform to be the correct height for the bed of the dual boggy cars.  The flat
ones, not the U shaped ones.

To get the reference plane right, this is how I'm setting it up.  From the top
of a base plate I attach a 2x8 plate then attach the blue rails to this plate.
If you place one of the dual boggy cars on top of this how high is it from the
top of the base plate to the top of the car's bed.

Using the current train wheels with a single plate on top, which is how my
current cars are built I get 3 2/3 bricks high.  With the dual boggy cars this
must be higher, because there is the boggy plate and the bed plate on top of
the wheels.

If you put a wagon plate on a 2 axle bogie which utilizes a bogie plate then you
will be 4 bricks high as it stands on the track.  The LEGO platforms which come
with the train station are 2 bricks high.  You could stack 2 ramp platforms and
bolster the flat ones up 2 bricks and you would be level with your train cars.  Or
you could build your own platforms to any height you wanted because there really
isn't any standard for that sort of thing IFAIK.

HTH,
John

Thanks for the Help,

Derek