 Trains / 5805
Re: How high are train cars.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 19:07:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Simon Denscombe writes:

I think basically the top of the platform should line up within a plate to the
height of the bottom of the train door - this is roughly how it works in the
UK - obviously there has to be some clearance.  At some French stations I've
heard the platform is very low.

In the US & Canada it varies. Depending on the size of the station and the type
of train, either high or low platforms are used. A high platform comes to the
height of the car door. A low platform is not much (if any) higher than the
railhead and steps built into the car (plus sometimes a portable step placed at
the last step position( lead up to the aisleway height.

It is impossible to speak in absolutes so don't read the following as
completely absolute.

Most subway and elevated railways (BART, NYC Subway, Chicago El, DC Metro,
etc.) use high platforms. Some commuter lines (NYC Metro North) do but not all.

Most light rail (streetcars and suchlike, Boston's green line, Toronto's
streetcars, San Diego's light rail, etc) use low platforms. Even if they happen
to be underground or on an elevated platform at the time. Ditto for most
commuter (Toronto GO trains, FL TriRail (same exact equipment), Chicago and
Detroit commuter, Boston MTA commuter, Long Island RR) most of the time.

Most interurban or intercity passenger use low platforms, especially at smaller
stations. However, older cars had a plate in the vestibule to fit across the
stairs so that high platforms could be used (often in very large stations like
Chicago Union Station, NYC Grand Central, etc) if they were present.

++Lar

PS, there is an excellent article in this month's TRAINS magazine on the BNSF
Argentine Yard in KC, describing yard operations, giving a good trackplan,
talking about retarders, hump slugs, towers, trimmer engines and lots of other
good stuff.