 Trains / 5669
Re: newbie /w questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 03:34:12 GMT

Hey Ryan-

Welcome to the wonderful world of TRAINSTRAINSTRAINS!!

Ryan J Schave wrote:

I'm rather new to lego trains.  The 4561 Railway Express was my first and I
just picked up the 3225 Classic Train today.  Now I'd like to start building
my own...

Good for you:-)

Can anyone suggest some good sources of pictures so that I can model real
life trains?  i.e.  train magazines and/or books with good pictures.

I would suggest any issue of Model Railroader magazine, or if you really want a
good source of schematics for most configurations of US trains, get Model
Railroader's soft cover books "Steam Locomotives - Cyclopedia Vol 1" and
"Diesel Locomotives - Cyclopedia Vol 2", both compiled by Bob Hayden.  Another
great source I've found is the Walther's HO Model Railroad Reference Book (it's
actually a catalog with tons of pics of all kinds of locos, cars, structures,
etc).  Or just head down to a hobby shop that sells model trains and start
browsing through their magazine section.

Also, I'm not up on the terminology.  Is there an FAQ I can read to get up
to speed?

Yeah, his name is Larry;-)  (you'll get to know Lar soon enough)

I saw someone mention "MOC" in a post.  IS MOC an acronym?  Is that train
specific or LEGO specific?

Neither really-- "My Own Creation"

I've seen several people mention 8 stud wide cars, wagons or what ever you
call them.  What is the significance of 8 wide.  It seems that LEGO goes
with 6 wide....

Well, let me tell ya....;-)  Most of us like to build our LEGO trains as
realistically as we can.  As you may have noticed, TLC (The LEGO Company) has
its own ideas about scale and realism which we AFOLs (Adult Fans Of LEGO) call
minifig scale.  In minifig scale, a train can only seat one person across and
can be the same width as a snowmobile, which is okay.  But in order to create a
little more realism, some of us build our trains 8 studs wide instead of the 6
studs wide as made by TLC.  Because real trains are about 10 feet wide and
standard track gauge (distance between the rails) is 4' 8.5"-- so you can see
that a train's width extends out quite a bit beyond its trucks (wheels).
Building 8 wide simulates this effect, and provides more interior room to model
as well.  MOCs tend to be bigger and thus providing more opportunity for
creating details.  You should definitely give one a try!

Thanks for your help... and your patience.

That's why we're here:-)

-John

Ryan