 Trains / 5610
Re: voltage question??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:39:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Hi Dave,

a blue motor housing with black base, that means a very old motor like from
sets 100, 102, 112, 113 from 1966 - 1968. So it's definitely a 4.5 Volt motor.
If you are interested in an inside view look here:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/9v_12v/pi260.jpg
or more schematic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0240/0240-19.html

Please notice, that you need very special wheels with longer metal shaft than
usual wheels during the 70ies used to have.

If you cannot get any of these wheels there is another solution.

I have had one of these motors since (about) 1969. The motor was overworked
and abused, regularly with 12v instead of 4.5v and gave no trouble at all. I
took it out of storage about three years ago (end of dark ages#1) and found
two faults which were easily fixed after very carefully breaking open the base
of the unit;

1. It made a terrible noise! - an ispection of the gears, removal of fluff and
a spray of WD40 cured that. First oiling in 30 years!

2. The original 'special' bushes for the notched axles were worn and would not
retain the wheels very well. I was really concerned by of the lack of 30-year
old spares for a child's toy! However this was easily cured by breaking open a
couple of old 1970s white 2x4 axle bricks, removing the black end bushes and
force-fitting these onto the original drive axles. I had to select the axle
bricks carefully as some of these were a bit weak too. The big adavantage is
of course that the standard wheels with flat-ended metal stub axles will fit.
Of course, it's possible that the bushes will slip under extreme pressure but
this does of course reduce the strain on the motor.

Use superglue when rebuilding - this should hold until about 2028 or so.

With some fantasy you can recognize them in this picture:
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=102
The last 3 millimeters of the shaft are only half of a circle: so you get a
kind of mechanical coupling.

Therefor these motors give the strongest Lego engines you can find! They • pulled
not only a big amount of waggons (with hook couplings instead of magnetic
couplings you can make up real long trains!) but they even where able to move
some buildings and level crossings with additional track by accident. This
picture was taken yust 2 minutes, before that happened:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/event_3/pi195.jpg
two 112 engines are pulling a short train with a too big combine harvester
which couldn't pass the 148 train station.... The train station was to big to
pass 146 level crossing and that was attached to the track: the result was a
big mess and we have been so busy to repair the damage, that I forgot to take
pictures....

I agree about the strength - just compare this motor with the all-black 'small
block' contemporary units.

Jon

And yes, the sponge is for oil, but the motor needs not more, than a drop in • 10
years.

Regards,

Ben

My surftip: