 Trains / 5620
Re: voltage question??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:03:15 GMT

AWESOME>>>

Thank you both for your help.....( I am now searching in the lot for the
wheels...)

regards

Dave

Jonathan Reynolds <scorch@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Hi Dave,

a blue motor housing with black base, that means a very old motor like • from
sets 100, 102, 112, 113 from 1966 - 1968. So it's definitely a 4.5 Volt • motor.
If you are interested in an inside view look here:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/9v_12v/pi260.jpg
or more schematic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0240/0240-19.html

Please notice, that you need very special wheels with longer metal shaft • than
usual wheels during the 70ies used to have.

If you cannot get any of these wheels there is another solution.

I have had one of these motors since (about) 1969. The motor was • overworked
and abused, regularly with 12v instead of 4.5v and gave no trouble at all. • I
took it out of storage about three years ago (end of dark ages#1) and • found
two faults which were easily fixed after very carefully breaking open the • base
of the unit;

1. It made a terrible noise! - an ispection of the gears, removal of fluff • and
a spray of WD40 cured that. First oiling in 30 years!

2. The original 'special' bushes for the notched axles were worn and would • not
retain the wheels very well. I was really concerned by of the lack of • 30-year
old spares for a child's toy! However this was easily cured by breaking • open a
couple of old 1970s white 2x4 axle bricks, removing the black end bushes • and
force-fitting these onto the original drive axles. I had to select the • axle
bricks carefully as some of these were a bit weak too. The big adavantage • is
of course that the standard wheels with flat-ended metal stub axles will • fit.
Of course, it's possible that the bushes will slip under extreme pressure • but
this does of course reduce the strain on the motor.

Use superglue when rebuilding - this should hold until about 2028 or so.

With some fantasy you can recognize them in this picture:
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=102
The last 3 millimeters of the shaft are only half of a circle: so you get • a
kind of mechanical coupling.

Therefor these motors give the strongest Lego engines you can find! They • pulled
not only a big amount of waggons (with hook couplings instead of magnetic
couplings you can make up real long trains!) but they even where able to • move
some buildings and level crossings with additional track by accident. • This
picture was taken yust 2 minutes, before that happened:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/event_3/pi195.jpg
two 112 engines are pulling a short train with a too big combine • harvester
which couldn't pass the 148 train station.... The train station was to • big to
pass 146 level crossing and that was attached to the track: the result • was a
big mess and we have been so busy to repair the damage, that I forgot to • take
pictures....

I agree about the strength - just compare this motor with the all-black • 'small
block' contemporary units.

Jon

And yes, the sponge is for oil, but the motor needs not more, than a drop • in
10
years.

Regards,

Ben