 Trains / 516
Re: Alternative driver wheels - brit outline steamer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:11:03 GMT

Larry P wrote:
That's a problem with your eye. :-) Prototypical boilers change shape as
you back from the smokebox. In fact, most boilers have square bottoms by
the time you get back to the firebox.

Very true, but (depending on the prototype) much of the shape change is
in the lower part of the boiler and so is behind other stuff on the
footplate (I'm talking Brit outline here) and not visible. I have seen
locos with boilers whose diameters expand gradually as they go back from
the smokebox towards the firebox, although again this is so gradual it's
not modellable in Lego (I think). The model I just built has a square
firebox top and bottom, but it ought to have a boiler which is (checking
prototype photo) darn near cylindrical.

I used to build model railroads and I'm finding I need a different
mindset to build stuff in Lego. It takes a different approach and I
haven't quite got it yet. Still, it'll come.

Kevin