 Trains / 509
Re: Alternative driver wheels - brit outline steamer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 04:52:36 GMT

So I'm talking to myself. Better than nothing.

Anyway, the chassis now has a body and it does run better. It's a Great
Central Railway (Brit) class 1A 4-6-0, built in 1913-1915. It could also
pass for a fair number of other GCR 4-6-0's since many of the
differences are too detailed to model in Lego. It's an inside cylinder
engine so I don't have to try and do cylinders and cylinder rods. The
fireman is hard at work shovelling coal as the flames shoot back from
the firebox into the cab.

Unfortunately there's no funnel yet. I made the smokebox out of a
technic 4x4 round piece and (since I only have one 4x4 round) the rest
of it out of inverted and normal slopes, but only realised when I came
to add funnel and dome that there are, of course, no studs on the round
piece and nowhere to attach the funnel on top :(  Back to the drawing
board on that one.

The other major missing thing is connecting rods. If it had only 4
drivers I could use a technic thingummy (dunno the name... 1x6x 1/3,
studs at the centre 4 positions, rounded ends, holes in the end stud
positions) but it doesn't work for a 6-coupled engine: because the
middle drivers have to be flangeless even just connecting the middle and
one outer pairs causes a lot of binding because the middle wheels
freewheel and don't always move in sync with the outer pairs. What I
need is a longer technic thingummy (as above) that will span between the
two outer pairs of drivers and leave the middle pair unconnected. That
would look better.

<Turns engine on side to measure distance between outer driver pairs...
coal falls out of tender all over floor> <sigh>.

9 studs. I bet they don't make one that size. Anyone know?

Kevin Wilson
Vancouver, BC