 Trains / 504
503  |  505
Subject:
Alternative driver wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 02:17:45 GMT

Hi all

I'm messing around with alternatives to the standard Lego train motor
with its little wheels, since I'm into building steam engines (British
outline). I have a 4-6-0 chassis running at the moment, close coupled to
the standard motor as a tender (never mind that all the Brit tenders I
might model have 6 wheels... details, details!). What I am using is
technic wheels, ganged in pairs, the inner one of each pair still has
its tire on (as the flange) and the outer one does not (as the tread). A
pair of standard rr wheel pairs are connected at the front as the
leading bogie (truck). The centre pair of drivers has no flanges because
of the tight radius curves.

Has anyone else tried a setup like this? Mine bounces rather a lot when
going in one direction round the track, though hardly at all in the
other (a function of where the rail joins come on the inside of the
curves). However, I think once I build a body the extra weight will
improve things. I don't have any switches yet so I can't test it through
them, which is where problems might arise.

Kevin Wilson
Vancouver, BC