 Trains / 5059
Re: Lego Modular tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 05:54:56 GMT

Ben Fleskes wrote:

Good start.  I've found the locations of set track alignments to be a tricky
one.

Since LEGO track doesn't (yet) come in differnent lengths, does your proposed
standard presume the track ends right at the end of the module, or perhaps 8
studs from the end, allowing a joining piece of track to be added between
modules.

I generally plan to have my track end right at the end of a module.  Which
brings up another point.  Normal track geometery supports track alignments on
16 stud centers.  Which is nice if you want to have one of the alignments come
off of a LEGO switch.  But maybe that's not important if you are planning
everything to be a trough track anyway.

Something that came up on the call is that for geometry reasons, if you
want curved modules not to have overhanging track you need your track
centers on multiples of 8 studs away from the module edge. So the
outermost track should be at 8 away, then 16 to the next, 16 to the next
and  so forth.

But in general, you need to set not only the track centers, but also the
distance the last end of the track is from the end of the module.

GMLTC goes right up to the edge.

A lot of regular MR uses track that is 1/2 a "track piece" away so you
span module boundaries with a piece of track. That may not work well
with LEGO track since you actually have to attach the track to the
module which makes alignment (and getting it all to fit together) very
tricky.

With most PNLTC shows, we simply wing it and make up any misalignment wherever
we can.  It's part of the fun.  Most people are surprised to learn our track
isn't even fastened to the table.

Plywooders... congenitally sloppy :-) Legomodulars do it with precision.
:-)

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!