 Trains / 5043
5042  |  5044
Subject:
Lego Modular tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:11:22 GMT

Why not do this in the mannor of N-track?

Lenghts in multiples of 2 sections of track.

Width: any width

Ends: Track centers to be located at:  10 studs in, 20 studs in, (30 studs
optional) from front of table.

Hight:  To be 36" or 40" high.

Now, some quantifiers: 1.  You can build a module that is _any_ length long
(IE, it could be 100 pieces of track long)

The 2 outer ends must match the spec's.

An aproach like this would only limit GMLTC to use some even # of individual
boards in there layout construction, and to have the track level at the same
place at both ends vertically.  _IF_ it is further desired, some sort of
standardization on the curve units should be done.

At least, if you have 4 boards which could be 'plugged into' in this mannor,
then it would work out for someone like Mike who might well want to transport
his layout to MN for a show at some time...or perhaps GMLTC will go to
Legoland...you said the trailer cost $5K, so traveling across the US with even
minimum sponsorship would not be unreasonable.

I've exibited 650 KM away from home with a 6'x16' layout, so I can see it being
done.  (I've also exibited 3000 KM from home, but with a rather smaller
layout...)

My suggestion would be to construct _all_ of your modules except one end to
whatever style you want.  Just have it so that the remaining corner is able to
be linked into someone elses layout (I don't know what your current standard
is, but I would suggest it, because I beleve this is what Mike is working to as
well).  Build the corner as you have with the other moduals before, or
intgrate it into your current layout, but make it so that it has some
reasonable spec's for interfacing with someone elses layout.

These are my views...I really cannot see that it would _harm_ you, just that it
would make it easier if you ever do get together with someone with adtional
modules.

James Powell