 Trains / 5053
Re: Building my train table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:49:40 GMT

Perhaps my tables are a bit overkill for a tabletop Lego layout (actually,
they definitely are) but they are not overkill for a legomodular layout
where 70+ pounds of bricks are put on top of them in addition to the
structures and rolling stock.

Mike Poindexter

James J. Trobaugh <thinice@avana.net> wrote in message
The PNLTC tables aren't too bad to make once you have the jig for the • holes. I
just have the guys at Home Depot cut the top wood for me (3/8 particle • board for
the NGLTC), their saw makes a much nicer cut the I can do on the driveway • with
my circular saw. So its worth the extra 50 cents a cut. Anyway a 4'x8' • sheet of
plywood won't fit in my van. Then I just use the scraps to build the leg
supports.

Have you built a table using 2"x4" for the edge supports? That would be a • very
heavy table I would think. You could definitely get away with something • smaller,
and if you using 3/4" plywood the 2x4s might be a little over kill.

james

Mike Poindexter wrote:

I built about 5 of those style tables.  They seemed quite more work than
they should be, but maybe I am just not very proficient at woodworking.
(Probably the latter).

If you want easy tables, make them with 3/4" plywood and use 2x4s on • their
edge to add stability.  Then you can put the banquet table legs on them • and
adjust height with PVC pipe.  It worked much easier for me.

Also, for the record, I would shave about 1/8" off the table sizes, as a
table too large leaves a gap between the layout, whereas a table too • small
just has the gap bridged over with bricks/plates.  You can always put a
washer to add space, but it is hard to remove a small amount.  With a • small
layout, it doesn't come up, but when you end up with 8-10 modules next • to
eachother, that little 1/8" ends up being about 2-4 studs.  I finished • 12 of
my tables when I found that out.  I have 9 more to make and will cut • them
down a slight bit to make them fit better, then I will fix the 3 I have • part
way finished and finally convert the ones I already got done.

Mike Poindexter

Bryan Kinkel <helpdesk@loseyourmind.com> wrote in message
With all the talk of Lego train tables and layouts, I'm pleased to say • that
I will be building my first set of tables this weekend. I'm using the • PNLTC
standard plywood table plans as found at
http://www.pnltc.org/Modular_Table.html and
http://www.baylug.org/zonker/tables/building.html.

These tables will be for use at home with my "4558-less" train • collection
and town gear. I will be using one sheet of plywood to build one small • and
one large table.

1. Beyond what Ben has posted on the baylug.org site, does anyone have • any
other tips for ease of building? I'm purchasing the materials on • Friday
evening, doing the cuts with a friend that night, then continuing on
Saturday.

2. What is the best wood for the table surface? I will be painting the
surface using the paint formulas from • http://www.pnltc.org/Tint_Formula.html
. (Have not decided on green or gray yet. Leaning towards green...)

3. Can someone point me to some pictures of the "Legomodules" that the • big
standards discussions have been about?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Kinkel

James J. Trobaugh