 Trains / 5036
Re: Building my train table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:39:46 GMT

I built about 5 of those style tables.  They seemed quite more work than
they should be, but maybe I am just not very proficient at woodworking.
(Probably the latter).

If you want easy tables, make them with 3/4" plywood and use 2x4s on their
edge to add stability.  Then you can put the banquet table legs on them and
adjust height with PVC pipe.  It worked much easier for me.

Also, for the record, I would shave about 1/8" off the table sizes, as a
table too large leaves a gap between the layout, whereas a table too small
just has the gap bridged over with bricks/plates.  You can always put a
washer to add space, but it is hard to remove a small amount.  With a small
layout, it doesn't come up, but when you end up with 8-10 modules next to
eachother, that little 1/8" ends up being about 2-4 studs.  I finished 12 of
my tables when I found that out.  I have 9 more to make and will cut them
down a slight bit to make them fit better, then I will fix the 3 I have part
way finished and finally convert the ones I already got done.

Mike Poindexter

Bryan Kinkel <helpdesk@loseyourmind.com> wrote in message
With all the talk of Lego train tables and layouts, I'm pleased to say • that
I will be building my first set of tables this weekend. I'm using the • PNLTC
standard plywood table plans as found at
http://www.pnltc.org/Modular_Table.html and
http://www.baylug.org/zonker/tables/building.html.

These tables will be for use at home with my "4558-less" train collection
and town gear. I will be using one sheet of plywood to build one small and
one large table.

1. Beyond what Ben has posted on the baylug.org site, does anyone have any
other tips for ease of building? I'm purchasing the materials on Friday
evening, doing the cuts with a friend that night, then continuing on
Saturday.

2. What is the best wood for the table surface? I will be painting the
surface using the paint formulas from • http://www.pnltc.org/Tint_Formula.html
. (Have not decided on green or gray yet. Leaning towards green...)

3. Can someone point me to some pictures of the "Legomodules" that the big
standards discussions have been about?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Kinkel