 Trains / 4292
Re: Speed surges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 02:51:30 GMT

Ben Fleskes wrote:

I've noticed this as well.  At the GATS show today, I asked others to observe
it just to make sure it isn't just me.  I notice it mostly when the train goes
through an s-curve. The front of the train doesn't surge, but the back does.

Well, my trains are usually long enough and massive enough that I see
effects on the locomotives. You can hear the motors suddenly starting to
work harder as they come into a curve, and surge forward as they come
out of it. (the momentum of the cars several cars back pushes them
forward, I suspect...)

Another thing that seems to make it more pronounced is if you have power
at both ends... Nik's Shinkasen which has 2 powered end units and 3
center units (the center units are built on 4561 drop center bases,
which gives you a wheelbase idea) surges pretty badly.

Glad it's not just me.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!