 Trains / 4290
Re: Speed surges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 02:45:21 GMT

I've noticed this as well.  At the GATS show today, I asked others to observe
it just to make sure it isn't just me.  I notice it mostly when the train goes
through an s-curve. The front of the train doesn't surge, but the back does.

I think Larry is right.  It relates the the changes between linear and angular
velocity as the train moves through.

Ben Fleskes
BS Mechanical Engineering (among other things)

Recent "big loco" and "big car" projects by others have started me
thinking about speed surges and wondering if there is a relation.

I notice that my longer locos and longer (car length and number of cars)
trains experience high frequency oscillations in speed and I am really
starting to bcome convinced that it's due to the changes in length of
the train between when you are on a curve and when you're on a straight

Take Mike's AX that he just posted. There must be a least a 5 stud
difference that the two trucks need to make up/absorb when switching
from a curve to a straight and back, due to the chordal distance from
one pivot point remaining fixed, but the track distance (and thus the
distance the trucks travel) changing from a straight where they are the
same, to a curve where the chordal distance and the circumferential
distance being significantly different.

Any ME's in the audience? Am I all wet?

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar