 Trains / 4045
Re: Does your train layout move?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:21:02 GMT

Tony Priestman wrote in message ...

[ ... snipped ... ]

If you run your hand over the rug, it will feel slightly rougher in one
direction than in the other direction. The track will move in the same
direction as when your hand is moving in the smooth direction. That's
because the fibres are already lying in that direction, and will deflect
further in the same direction.

Does this make sense?
--
Tony Priestman

Sure does, in fact, the track is indeed sliding in the direction of least
resistance of the rug which makes perfect sense from a physics perspective.
I am surprised that the train creates enough lateral force to slide the
layout across the carpet.  The fact that some of the track connections don't
come apart in the process also surprises me.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh