 Trains / 4043
Re: Does your train layout move?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:57:34 GMT

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Larry Pieniazek (<389D0754.5C6ED094@voyager.net>)
wrote at 05:32:04

But I can see layouts move even on top of carpet. When a train is
running, it tends to deform the track outwards when it goes around
curves. For whatever reason it seems not to be a completely return to
center motion. Depending on whim, or the shape of the layout, or slight
slopes in the floor (I don't know which) the layout walks in one
direction.

The weight of the train will deflect the carpet pile downwards, and the
fibres will tend to move in a circular motion vertically, like reeds in
the wind.

This will cause a slight translation in the track, which isn't fully
recovered when the train has passed.

If you run your hand over the rug, it will feel slightly rougher in one
direction than in the other direction. The track will move in the same
direction as when your hand is moving in the smooth direction. That's
because the fibres are already lying in that direction, and will deflect
further in the same direction.

Does this make sense?
--
Tony Priestman