 Trains / 3985
Re: Spoked Train Wheels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:48:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Warren writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Torsten Wernecke solved the derailing problem by adding an extra ring outside
the wheels (fixed by an fitting rubber O-ring).
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/trains/pi374.jpg

A few questions about this o-ring technique.  Did he put an o-ring around
the outer flange on the rim?  Where did he get these o-rings?  I noticed
that they are also red.  Did they come this color or did he paint them?
I've been using these type of wheels on some of my models but this derailing
is driving me crazy.  I'm about ready to machine off the outer flange but
your idea sounds promising.
John

Dear John

Torsten has made the outer red rings (with a big flange) on a lathe from
plastic material you can buy in any diameters (he used 50mm round material of
red PVC).
Only to fix these outer rings on the spoked wheels he uses O-rings: You can by
them in any thickness and diameters in shops that sell roller bearings and
similar stuff. They are quite cheap and can be bought in any size. He puts them
in the space between the rims of the spoked wheel (just like the normal tyres,
but only much smaller). To avoid any axial movement of the self made plastic
ring he makes a little depression in the middle of the inner diameter of the
selfmade rings. (they look like having two rims after that, hope you understand
my lousy english...) First trials worked without that depression: in that case
the O-ring has to be pressed quite strong to fix the outer ring, which could
break while mounting it.....

The whole o-ring design is just used to avoid any kind of glue. The spoked
wheels are not damaged or changed in any way.

Regards,

Ben