 Trains / 3979
Re: Spoked Train Wheels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 01:03:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, George Branson writes:
Does anyone have anything I could use for a locomotives train wheels?  Those
red spoked wheels I keep seeing on peoples locomotives are nice.  Are they
in fact Lego pieces?

These spoked wheels (for e.g. used in "Hobby sets" like 390 Cadillac) cause
some trouble on points and track crossings. But the look really great, even if
they might be a little to big: if you try to build a steam engine with 4
big wheeled axles, it will be very complicated to get it through curves.

Torsten Wernecke solved the derailing problem by adding an extra ring outside
the wheels (fixed by an fitting rubber O-ring).
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/trains/pi374.jpg
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/fgltc/4te090.jpg
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/fgltc/fgltc4_c.html

Other people cut of the outer ring bar to produce their own train wheels, but
destroying these old and rare parts is a thing I wouldn't dare....

Michael Schian has done so, you can see it in this picture quite good:
http://www.schian.de/assets/images/Gueterlok.jpg

Best Regards

Ben

A few questions about this o-ring technique.  Did he put an o-ring around
the outer flange on the rim?  Where did he get these o-rings?  I noticed
that they are also red.  Did they come this color or did he paint them?
I've been using these type of wheels on some of my models but this derailing
is driving me crazy.  I'm about ready to machine off the outer flange but
your idea sounds promising.
  John