 Trains / 3617
Re: GMLTC Module Construction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:56:35 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Although I have not seen the modules from the GMLTC in real life, I have
spoken with several GMLTC members and am fairly certain that the modules I am
making are a perfect match to theirs, with the exception of track standards[1]
and module orientation[2].

The more I work on these modules, the more respect I have for a collection the
size of Conan's.

Mike Poindexter

[1] - GMLTC runs the outside mainline four studs in from the outside of the
module.  There are 2 studs between the outside loop and the inside loop.  I
put 8 studs between the tracks.

[2] - GMLTC uses a 30" depth and 45" width on most of their modules.  I use
45" depth and 30" width on most of mine.

I am building 5 modules for my home layout and I, too, have built mine 45" deep
and 30" wide.  It's nicer to have those extra inches, IMO.  In fact, if you
notice, our train yard modules flare out to about that depth x2.  Those babies
are big (and heavy;-)

-John