 Trains / 3609
Re: GMLTC Module Construction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 05:46:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Robert W. Green writes:
A while back I saw a post about how the GMLTC modules are put together.  (As
far as internal supports, ect)  Does anyone have that info handy?  (link,
photo, or other)  A few of us here in St. Louis are exploring something along
the same lines and a comparison to their successful layout would be nice.
Thanks!

Wayne G.

I will make up a web page showing all the data on module construction.  For
now, here are the hard numbers:

2x4's needed - approx. 7,500 (62.5 Blue Tubs worth)
2x2's needed - approx. 10,000 (50 blue tubs worth)
Large Gray Baseplates - 6

Weight is about 60-65 pounds of bricks.

I am making a lot of the modules, but have been running into trouble getting
the tubs I need.  With all the major chains going through inventory right now,
I will have to wait for a month before I can get any more.  A 16 module layout
will require about 960 tubs.

I am making tables to hold the modules right now.  Monday, I should be
finished with the tables and will post instructions on table construction,
module standards and costs.  When I am finished, I will post the URL to the
page.

Although I have not seen the modules from the GMLTC in real life, I have
spoken with several GMLTC members and am fairly certain that the modules I am
making are a perfect match to theirs, with the exception of track standards[1]
and module orientation[2].

The more I work on these modules, the more respect I have for a collection the
size of Conan's.

Mike Poindexter

[1] - GMLTC runs the outside mainline four studs in from the outside of the
module.  There are 2 studs between the outside loop and the inside loop.  I
put 8 studs between the tracks.

[2] - GMLTC uses a 30" depth and 45" width on most of their modules.  I use
45" depth and 30" width on most of mine.