 Trains / 344
  Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

Here's my opinion on the new sets (in descending order) 1. 4519 Cross track. Very cool. Really the only 99 set that is in the same league as the original 1991 train sets. A Must Buy 2. 4557 Container Crane. Nice set, with almost no Town Jr (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

Matthew Bates wrote in message ... (...) Too bad it's isn't a sheared crossing, lik the DUPLO one. (...) it (...) set (...) DARK (...) They sure look dark grey in the catalog. Like the Res-Q base. Eric (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

Nicely put comments, Matthew! I especially like your simply-stating ratings. I like the new sets because they show a great deal more diversity than has been typical of the recent LEGO sets. Which is a good indication that Trains will continue. So (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

a couple of thoughts: whom are we kidding here? If a set contains only a few new and useful pieces, we're all gonna buy it- TLG has us over the barrel. It doesn't matter how cool the set is; if I already have the pieces, I'll just build it. Most of (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

John Neal wrote: <snip> (...) Well, the new Playbobil trains are RC trains, which I think is a great idea! The plastic track lets the train run inside or outside. All in all, I think Playmobil did an excellent job at designing their new train line. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

I agree that variety is good, but details... One of legos strongest points, I think, is that the same piece can be a tail light, or a hamburger- is Denmark a great country or what?! (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

(...) think, (...) I don't think anyone here is going to argue that Lego isn't the coolest construction system, that's why we all love it. And we all know that Playmobil isn't a construction system at all [1]. But that wasn't the point of my (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

You're right, it would be painfully ironic- I think Lego needs to get out into the real world and see who actually IS the market for their trains- are there really that many more 4 year olds than adult enthusiasts such as ourselves? I don't think (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

"Eric Brok" <brok@fcjsvc.hvu.nl> wrote (...) Sheard crossing? What is a sheared crossing? Is it a non 90 degree crossing, like a 45/135 degree ctossing? I'm confused. Too bad Duplo trains can't run on 12V/4.5V/9V setups. Gary GaryLouie@EarthLink.Net (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

Gary Louie wrote in message <369D13E5.AFCF82B3@E...nk.Net>... (...) same (...) Yes, that's what I meant. There should be a crossing to connect switches/points in a dual cross-over setup. Eric Brok (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

Eric Brok writes: > (...) I too would like to see a diamond crossing (that's what I call it anyway) but that would require a new style of points/switch. The current one curves one way and then starts curving back the other way, so even if Lego made (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

(...) I'm a little late here, but where can I see Will's rotary plow? URL Anyone? Cheers - Barbara [I've 'borrowed' Jeremy's account for the time being until he can un-tie himself in the closet!] (25 years ago, 16-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets

(...) -- Thomas's & Kristin's Home Page (URL) Member (URL) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-99, to lugnet.trains)