 Trains / 366
Re: Thoughts on 1999 Train Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:30:51 GMT

You're right, it would be painfully ironic- I think Lego needs to get out into the
real world and see who actually IS the market for their trains- are there really
that many more 4 year olds than adult enthusiasts such as ourselves? I don't think
that Lego WANTS to acknowledge the fact that there are thousands of ADULT lego
hobbyists- it would detract from their "toy" image.

Matthew Bates wrote:

John Neal writes:
I agree that variety is good, but details... One of legos strongest points, I • think,
is that the same piece can be a tail light, or a hamburger- is Denmark a great
country or what?!

I don't think anyone here is going to argue that Lego isn't the coolest
construction system, that's why we all love it. And we all know that Playmobil
isn't a construction system at all [1]. But that wasn't the point of my
argument which was that Lego have clearly demonstrated in the past their
ability to produce realistic looking train sets, at least as nice as the
Playmobil ones with the big adavantage over Playmobil that you can rebuild
them into your own creations. So why have they started producing ugly trains?
It would be ironic if they think they need to be simplified (in design, not
difficulty) to appeal to younger children because the new RC Playmobil trains
appear to be aimed at children as young as 4 whereas Lego by their own
definition say theirs are for 8+. So Lego make dumber looking stuff for
children 4 years older! Huh?

Matt

[1] Playmobil does now have the System-X building construction system  but
that is limited to buildings.