 Trains / 3377
Re: Design wanted: Touch sensor for passing trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:09:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Carl M. Kadie writes:
I'm using Mindstorms to control Lego trains.

Does anyone have a design for using a touch sensor to detect a train
passing?

My intuition is that the touch sensor could be more reliable than the light
sensor (plus I have two touch sensors and only one light sensor).

Thanks much for any help,

Carl Kadie

Hi Carl,

I tried some time ago, way before the mindstorms, to use read contacts. The
magnets of the wagon/engines will close the contact each time they pass.

I guess that the RCX can see this as 0 and 1. With this you can, I imagine,
count the length of your train. This allows you to take different action
for different trains.

Hope it works,

Guido