 Trains / 31584
Re: LMC - update - wiring, off topic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:13:45 GMT

[snipped]

Same is true for Germany (whole Europe (as common in many fields UK probably
excluded?)shares a power grit to overcome local power shortages, so I guess we
all have more or less the same system with 230V at 50Hz).

For the 380V system it is called "Drehstrom" (three-phase current)in Germany.
Each of the three wires "L1" "L2" and "L3" have a phase shift of 120°. the
central wire would ideally see no current at all. A fiths wire is present for
ground. The 230V in households are just one of L1...L3 against the central wire.
So all houses are commonly connected to the 380V grit, but all minor equipment
is using the 230V.

While it is permitted to work on 230V on your own risk it is illegal to work on
any 380V  equipment (in Germany). You need to be an electrician by profession
and have an according licence/diploma to connect your oven to the 380V. 380V
plugs are only used for industrial purpose.

Wiring in walls is commonly just vertical (mostly from plug to ceiling).
Horizontal wiring is to be expected near the ceiling (sometimes at floor level -
but that would be stupid in case of any water damages).
Odd angle wiring should be avoided completely.

P.s.: Steve, could you please downsize your megapixel pictures at brickshelf? We
still live in an area without real highspeed internet. (Do I dare to mention the
386kB connection here?). Thanks and good luck for the further progress of your
cave!

Best Regards,

Ben