 Trains / 31579
Re: LMC - update - wiring, off topic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:44:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Steven Barile wrote:

Both major walls in place and wired (mostly). The garage door is visible too!
Off to the side you can see the 36" door waiting to be hung.
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SEBarile/LEGOManCave/img_4335.jpg>

[ apologies for being a geek ]

Is it okay to pull wires horisontally in walls in the US?  In DK the
only place you are allowed to pull wires in walls is vertically in the
space directly above and below a visible wall-plug or contact.

Yes, it is OK in the US to pull wires horizontally.  If they are more than 1 1/2
inches (about 3.75 cm) from the edge of the stud (which is 3 1/2" thick on
interior walls) they they need to be protected by a metal plate so that screws
or nails from drywall do not damage them.

Most wires are pulled horizontally in new construction for houses in the US
since it uses less wire.  At a house factory in my town they stack all the
wooden 2x4's (the the vertical framing timber) in a stack and drill a hole
through it for wires before they assemble the walls.  That way they have holes
in every stud throughout the house for wires, which makes wiring very fast and
easy.

In the US, virtually every house is built of wood, so there is lots of room to
run wires inside the walls.  Stone, brick and cement houses are very rare.

Now I have a question for you, on wiring in Europe:  In the US, the standard
wire has 2 conductors and a ground wire inside it - one is black, which is the
"hot" wire and carries 110 volts.  The other is white and is "neutral" to return
the used electricty to the earth.  And the third is bare copper which is used as
an emergency backup if there is a short, to carry electricty to the earth.

Most circuits in a house are 110 volts.  Large appliances like a clothes dryer
or water heater are 220 volts.  On an older 220 volt circuit in the US (most
stuff more than 10 years old) the white wire is be used for the 2nd 110 volts,
and the bare wire is used for neutral and ground at the same time.  In newer 220
volt wiring there are usually 2 separate hot wires (a red and a black) plus a
neutral white and a bare ground.

How is 220 volt wiring in Europe done?  Does a single wire carry 220 volts?  Do
major appliances like a clothes dryer also use 220 volts, or do they have 2 hot
connectors and run on 440 volts?

-Matt :)