 Trains / 31211
Re: Basic Train Elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 04:16:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ram Sreerangam wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:

There used to be a polybag of train elements, here, it had an MSRP of about $15.

Well I have tried to duplicate the polybag items below. Here is the cost I came up with:

Black Plates 2x6 = 0.40 (2) Black Train Base = 2.50 (1) Train Bogie Plate = 0.62 (2) Train Buffer #2 = 2.50 (2) Train wheel pair = 8.10 (4) ->Total Cost in $ = 14.12

I have listed all the items I used to come up with the above calculation (cut/pasted from S@H website) below. “Prepack Flat With 2 Axles” --- I am not sure if it is the right axle for the train wheels! The catalog for the recent trains show a different element ID 4298979 (not found in S@H). Perhaps someone can clarify what the right one is please?

Yep, that looks about right (I got the same price when I just checked) and I believe the axles are correct (though you could call customer service to be sure, or given the ambiguity online, call them after the fact if any problems arise and they would likely correct any problems).

In terms of your list, two things to note, first remember you are paying a premium on PAB, so the more common parts might be found cheaper elsewhere, e.g., the 2x6 plates. If you are only building one car it might not matter, but if you are building dozens it does. Second, note the size difference of the two Train Bases, the black one is 6x24 while the dark gray one is 6x28.