 Trains / 30936
Re: PRR T1 #5544
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:57:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:

snarky comment #1: What, no PF?

I would have actually preferred to motorize this locomotive with Power Functions, and I still plan to, but unfortunately my funds are such that I cannot afford to buy the parts I need. The tender cannot accept a AA battery PF battery box, so I’m going to have to install a rechargeable one. I plan to install two M PF motors in the tender (since the second driver assembly floats and can’t be motorized) so that I can get more speed than using the XL PF motors. I admit that I’ll lose a lot of potential speed over 9v, but the slower top speed of the PF motors will insure that my T1, while in operation, will never derail in curves (due to speed related issues, anyway).

   snarky comment #2: aren’t you just trapsing all over Cale’s territory (first Erie, now PRR)?

He snoozes, he looses. :) Up until very recently, I’ve not had any interest in modeling just one railroad or one region like most folks, and even though I plan to do a lot more focus on the Texas State Railroad I’ll still be building other prototypes that simply pique my interest.

   Seriously though, slick stuff! And that tender looks like a sheer exercise in brute force to make the skirting work.

Benn

Thanks much! Yeah, I’ve been thinking about tender skirting ever since I built my Dreyfuss Hudson. I actually have a plan that I think will work really well for articulated tender skirts that should remove the gap I was forced to use here, but it wouldn’t have allowed for the pinstriping to continue. When I get some play money again, I’ll order the parts and see if I can’t skirt the Hudson’s tender with my design, see if there’s merit.

--Tony