 Trains / 30820
    Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow? —Mike McKee
   I finally got my Emerald Night up and running with the Power Functions XL motor and rechargeable battery pack (fully charged). Top speed for me is considerably slower than with a 9v train. Is this typical? Before I begin playing with gear ratios, (...) (15 years ago, 18-May-09, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow? —Bruce S. Chamberlain
   (...) Slower is more realistic and will not derail on corners. I always run my steam engines as slow as I can without stalling. The better question is how many cars can it pull slowly and how long does the battery last? Thanks, Bruce (15 years ago, 18-May-09, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow? —Mike McKee
     (...) Some of the late steam era passenger trains could manage quite a pace. Besides, the occasional catastrophic LEGO train derailment can be kinda fun! With the maximum speed I am generating, derailment is not a risk. (...) Absolutely true. (...) (15 years ago, 19-May-09, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow? —Anthony Sava
     (...) You have to realize that the Power Functions XL motor turns VERY slowly for a LEGO motor to begin with, but it's got an awesome amount of torque. If you want your locomotive to go faster right away, just slap a medium PF motor in its' place. (...) (15 years ago, 4-Aug-09, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow? —Chris Gray
   (...) Pulling more cars was one of the first things I tried. I was just using a simple oval track, so lots of turning. Half of the cars I used were 4-wheel ones, which have lots of friction on the corners. I had a total of 8 cars on it, and it (...) (15 years ago, 19-May-09, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow? —Ludo Soete
   (...) Hi chris, Glad to read that i'm not the only one with the gear problem. Anyone else with this problem? I did some modifications on the train, and it runs now verry smooth, and over 3h with 6 1800mAH Ni-MH batteries and two 52 stud long (...) (15 years ago, 4-Aug-09, to lugnet.trains)