 Trains / 30900
Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:48:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike McKee wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Bruce S. Chamberlain wrote:

Slower is more realistic and will not derail on corners.

Some of the late steam era passenger trains could manage quite a pace.  Besides,
the occasional catastrophic LEGO train derailment can be kinda fun!  With the
maximum speed I am generating, derailment is not a risk.

The better question is how many cars
can it pull slowly and how long does the battery last?

Absolutely true.  Unfortunately my rolling stock is in deep storage (for reasons
too long to explain), so I cannot put that to the test.  With luck, the lack of
speed I am experiencing with the XL motor will be offset by torque and pulling
power.  I have yet to run the battery down myself, but from what I have read
elsewhere, battery time should be satisfactory for my purposes.

Thanks, more input is welcomed!

You have to realize that the Power Functions XL motor turns VERY slowly for a
LEGO motor to begin with, but it's got an awesome amount of torque.  If you want
your locomotive to go faster right away, just slap a medium PF motor in its'
place.  The medium motor turns just about twice as fast as the XL motor with
half the torque, so while you won't be able to pull as much weight, you will be
able to see your train move much faster.

To many this will be a broken record, but in terms of pulling power the Power
Functions system stands to be the strongest train system LEGO has produced.
It's not design for raw speed, but then again at scale full speed on a 9v motor
may be too fast for 80% of all train MOCs.  Cale Leiphart's Power Functions Y6B
steam engine with two XL motors, while a very slow locomotive, was able to out
pull 2 9v-motored locomotives using non-LEGO power regulators at Brickworld this
year during the Train Drag Pull competition.  The only modification Cale had to
do was swap out the standard O-rings on the small PF train wheels with better
ones to add more friction (whereas the 9v motors were being powered by a
non-LEGO, "professional" model train power regulator capable of sending enough
current through the rails to melt the motors).  Details of this O-ring upgrade
can be seen at the www.railbricks.com RailBlog.

http://www.railbricks.com/railblog-categories/power-functions/93-a-power-functions-primer

--Tony